This is our music – Doek Festival 2018
The last few editions of the Doek Festival have been some of the most ambitious events Doek has ever undertaken. A collaboration with Present Sounds Amsterdam brought you The Present Is Present, showcasing the incredible wealth of improvised music happening in Amsterdam today. Prior to that we had the ABC Festival, connecting scenes from Amsterdam, Berlin and Chicago, and Doek Meets Tri-centric, which brought over an entire collective from the United States to work with and perform the music of Anthony Braxton among others.
This year, Doek will go back to its roots and focus on the projects of its individual members. Each core musician has taken the liberty to pick a group that explores or expresses something personal to him or her. Of course, the result is quite a varied programme with musicians from across the globe. Performances will take place at Splendor, the Bimhuis, De Ruimte, and numerous surprise venues for the annual bicycle tour. Doek will also host workshops in the Bimhuis. 12 sessions in total with each Doek core member leading at least one session. The workshop ensemble will have a final performance during the bike tour and at Zaal 100.
Bimhuis 11:00 – 15:00
A workshop for talented improvisers will take place every day at the Bimhuis. They will work with Doek and festival musicians on various aspects of improvisation.
More information here.
Thursday 14 June
20:30 @ Splendor
• Kaja Draksler, Marta Warelis piano; Lily Kiara, Michael Schumacher dance
Moore, Taubenfeld, Doronzo, Lucifoa, Buis
• Michael Moore alto sax, clarinet; Ziv Taubenfeld bass clarinet; Giuseppe Doronzo baritone sax; Salvoandrea Lucifora, Joost Buis trombone
Friday 15 June
20:30 @ the Bimhuis
• Eva Hoogland voice; Wolter Wierbos trombone; Oguz Büyükberber bass clarinet; Giray Gürkal guitar, bass guitar; Gülşah Erol cello; Korhan Erel electronics
Stadhouders, Oliver, Vitols, Hart, Rosaly
• Jasper Stadhouders guitar; Mary Oliver viola; Uldis Vitols double bass; Harpo ‘t Hart electronics; Frank Rosaly drums
Hoogland, Sylla, Rosaly
• Mola Sylla voice; Oscar Jan Hoogland piano; Frank Rosaly drums
Saturday 16 June
20:30 @ the Bimhuis
Eric Boeren 4tet
• Eric Boeren cornet; Michael Moore alto sax, clarinet; Wilbert de Joode double bass; Han Bennink drums
Ab Baars Trio
• Ab Baars tenor sax; Wilbert de Joode double bass; Martin van Duynhoven drums
The Coimbra Project
• John Dikeman tenor sax; Luis Vicente trumpet; Alexander Hawkins piano; Hugo Antunes double bass; Mark Sanders drums
Sunday 17 June
Locations and times TBA, final party @ De Ruimte
Amsterdam Realbook Fietstour
Led by Oscar Jan Hoogland, the Amsterdam Realbook bicycle tour has become one of the most beloved parts of the Doek Festival over the past few years. A truly spontaneous event, exact details are always decided at the last minute. More info is on the way!